14 February 2009

Wales Vs England in the Wine Rivels


To day is one of the longest rivalry in world sport Wales Vs England in rugby this is some thing more than a game for the Walsh it 80 miners worth of rugby to play out 1000 years worth of epression. For the English it is chance to put one over there neighbors and beat the one of the best teams in the world.
So to help celebrate this game of games I dug throw my tasting notes to find the best wine from England and Wales to see who win the in the first Wine rivels- England Vs Wales.
The south east coast of England has perfect terroir for the Champaign grapes Pinot Noir Chardonnay Pinot Meunier with it chorkie rich sole and good distance from the equator. The Fizz come from they parts are making head lines in the winey world. For what they make it well priced and excellent wine. Take the South Ridge CuvĂ©e Merret 2006 from laithwaites.co.uk. Made by the old pro of English wine Mike Roberts it retails at a delightful £16.49 per bottle it has a fantastic ripe melon and honey taste to it and a toast and biscuit nose with just a hint of creamy mousse to it.
Wales has been perdition wine since the time of the Romans and with the rolling hills and rich ground it is a great place for growing grapes found in German or northern France. So from the valleys we have the fantastic Ty-Hafod a lovely drop of a off dry white blend whitch has hints of apple and white stones on the nose with crisp apple fruit and a hint of lemon. You can get your hand on it from Tesco for £5.22.
I think it hard to find a winner here so I leave it up to up and as alway please comment on the wines and tell me which one you think wins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like the South Ridge I had it for my Birthday BBQ last year. I will let you know what I think of the Wales wine.

Anonymous said...

Come on Wales!